Editor’s Note: Babble is a part of The Walt Disney Company.
Pasta is a favorite comfort food among people of all ages and this Mexican pasta dish is no exception. The nutritious Fideo Seco recipe incorporates delicious ingredients — such as avocado, tomato, and beans — that will hit the spot for the entire family. You can even pack it in your kids’ school lunch bag! Your little ones won’t be able to get enough and will soon be asking for Fideo Seco over mac and cheese any day.
recipe adapted from Ana Garcia of La Villa Bonita
Makes: 5 servings
- 1 tomato, cooked in water (or 3/4 cup no salt added canned tomatoes)
- 1/4 white onion
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 cup whole wheat short spaghetti or elbow pasta
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 cups no salt added canned black beans
- 3/4 cup black bean liquid from can
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 chile pasilla, cut into 1/4-inch rounds and deseeded
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 of an avocado, cut into 1/2-inch squares
- 2 ounces queso fresco, shredded
- To make the pasta, blend the tomato, onion, and stock together. If a fresh tomato is used, strain to remove the skin and seeds after blending the mixture.
- In a sauce pan, add oil over a medium-high flame. Add the garlic clove and sauté it until golden. Then take it out of the oil and lower the flame to medium.
- Add pasta to the oil and fry it. Be sure to stir the pasta at all times so it’s evenly coated with oil. Sauté until golden. Drain the oil from the pasta by placing it on paper towels to get rid of as much oil as possible.
- Add the drained pasta to a large saucepan on a high flame (note that the pasta will expand to three times its size during the cooking process). Then add the previously blended tomato and stock mixture. Bring to a boil, add salt, cover, and reduce the flame to low. Let it cook for about 15 minutes or until the sauce is completely dry.
- For the garnish, add the oil and chile pasilla in a skillet. Cook on a medium flame until you can smell the chile pasilla. Place them on paper towels to drain the oil.
- To make the sauce, blend the cumin, black beans, black bean liquid, and salt. Puree the mixture to create a loose sauce. Heat in a sauce pan.
- Start assembling the dish by placing the pasta at the center. Add the black bean sauce around the pasta and sprinkle the chile pasilla, avocado, and queso fresco garnish on top.