When making salads, many of us feel obligated to make the most virtuous salads ever. Think dark, leafy greens dressed in only lemon and a pinch of salt. And hey, salads like this can be great, but it can also be a treat to make a really delicious, topping-studded salad, and have a little fun with your nutritious eating.
And this salad is definitely fun. Seared cornmeal-crusted tilapia sits atop a bed of spring greens along with pickled jalapeños, sliced avocados, a simple lime crema, and a handful of crispy tortilla strips. The flavors come together beautifully — flaky bits of fish, crunchy corn chips, tangy crema, and the familiar mix of vinegar and heat from the jalapeños. It’s a hearty, filling salad that’s just right as a filling lunch or a light main.
A simple list of ingredients also means this salad can be ready in a flash. To make the most of your time, wash greens ahead of time and make sure you have all ingredients at the ready.
Fish Taco Salad
Makes: 2 servings
- 2 tilapia fillets
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, plus more as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice, plus several wedges for serving
- 5 ounces mixed spring greens, washed and dried
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1 small can pickled jalapeño slices, drained (optional)
- 2 cups salted tortilla strips
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon cilantro leaves, minced (garnish)
- Rinse and pat dry two tilapia filets.
- Pour milk into a bowl. On a plate, combine cornmeal, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, and chili powder. Mix well with a fork.
- Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat and add a pat of butter. When the butter melts, foams, and subsides, dip fillets in milk, then in cornmeal mixture, making sure to coat both sides. Place fillets in skillet, cook 2-3 minutes per side, and then remove to a plate and slice.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir to combine sour cream and lime juice.
- Arrange greens in two bowls. Top each with a cooked fish fillet, avocado slices, jalapeños, and tortilla strips. Drizzle with lime crema. Finish with a pinch each sea salt and pepper, and minced cilantro. Garnish each with a lime wedge and serve immediately.