Who watched Fraggle Rock back in the day? I most certainly did. Actually, I think I pretty much watched anything that Jim Henson touched. The Muppet Show, Sesame Street, and Muppet Babies were all shows I watched a lot. It’s a wonder I had time for school!
As much as I loved Fraggle Rock as a kid, I kind of forgot about it as an adult. But then I saw The Bells of Fraggle Rock on ABC Family’s 25 Days of Christmas schedule for this year and all the “fraggleness” buried in my brain came flooding back. It made me excited to watch the Fraggles’ Christmas fun with my kids!
Since they know nothing about Fraggle Rock, I decided it would be fun to do a food activity together to get ready for the movie. Rainbow cupcakes with crazy hair seemed like the perfect way to get everyone pumped!
Rainbow cupcakes are perfect for anything Fraggle related. My 4-year-old Owen helped me bake the cupcakes, and he had a blast! He was intrigued with the six different colors and loved helping to stir the color into the batter. He was just as intrigued as I put the batter into the cupcake tins, although he did tell me that I was too slow. Simply baking rainbow cupcakes ended up being a really fun activity on its own!
When it was time to decorate the cupcakes, we used multi-colored licorice rope for the hair and candy eyes to complete the look. Different colored frostings made for many fun color combinations.
In all honesty, when I started decorating the first cupcake I wasn’t so sure I was going to like my little Fraggles. But then the kids came into the room and their positive energy turned everything around. They looked at pictures of the different Fraggle characters and got super excited because the cupcakes looked “just like them!” When it was time for the kids to make their own characters, all three of them were in heaven. They loved putting the “hair” on the cupcakes and spent a lot of time decorating together. This ended up being one of the most fun food activities we’ve ever done together, and the kids were beyond happy with the final product.
My master plan worked, by the way. The whole family is super pumped to watch the The Bells of Fraggle Rock. The cupcakes were a success!
Fraggle Rock Cupcakes
Prep Time: 60 minutes
Makes: 40-45 mini cupcakes
- 1 rainbow cake mix (plus ingredients that it calls for)
- Mini cupcake liners
- 16 tablespoons butter
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons milk
- Food coloring
- Freezer zip-top bags
- Multi-colored thin licorice ropes
- Small candy eyes
- Preheat oven according to cake package directions.
- Follow directions on the cake box to prepare the batter.
- Line mini cupcake tins with cupcake liners. (I highly recommend mini cupcakes — it makes creating the hair easier with a smaller area to work with.)
- There should be 6 colors of batter (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple). Add 1/2 teaspoon of each color to each muffin liner in the tins, starting with red and ending with purple. Do not mix the colors or touch the batter once you drop it in the pan. Each cupcake will have 3 teaspoons of batter total.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool before frosting.
- Mix together butter, powdered sugar, and milk in a mixer until well blended. Frosting will be a bit thicker than normal buttercream — this is what you want, so the licorice will stand securely in the frosting.
- Divide frosting into multiple parts and mix in food coloring to make different colored frostings. (You can do as many different colors as you like!)
- Use a plastic zip-top bag as your piping bag. Put frosting in the bag, using separate bags for different colors, and push frosting to one corner. Cut the tip, about 1/4″ wide.
- Frost the cupcakes. You will need two sections — one for underneath the “hair” and one for the face. For the hair, either pipe two circles side-by-side or one large circle. The frosting should be placed to one side of the cupcake, filling about 2/3 of the top. For the face frosting, pipe a smaller oval circle of frosting in the remaining open area on the cupcake. Start at the hair frosting, piping out towards the edge of the cupcake, then pipe back towards the center of the cupcake, forming an oval shape that looks like a Fraggle nose. (See photos.)
- Cut rope licorice into 3/4″ pieces. Place licorice pieces into the frosting to make hair. Start in the center of the frosting circle and work your way out, carefully pushing the licorice in so it’s the same length all around.
- Place eyes near the top of the Fraggle’s nose.
The Bells of Fraggle Rock airs on ABC Family on Saturday, December 12 at 11:30 AM ET/PT.More On