Say “bonjour” to your new favorite cheese bread. This quick and easy recipe is inspired by the classic French pastry, gougère. You can now transport your friends and family to France in under 30 minutes! It’s great as a party appetizer, dinner roll, or afternoon snack.
French Cheese Puffs
- 1 cup water
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Gruyère cheese, coarsely grated
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil with butter and salt over high heat.
- Reduce heat, add flour and beat with a wooden spoon until mixture pulls away from the side of the pan.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and beat 4 eggs, one at a time, with an electric mixer.
- Stir in Gruyère cheese.
- Transfer mixture to a freezer bag, cut a hole in the corner, and pipe onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet (each should be the size of a small cookie).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.