French Toast with Vanilla Bean and LemonElizabeth Stark
I’m always searching for amazing french toast, and this stuff is it. There’s nothing like real vanilla beans, and here they match up beautifully with lemon zest. To boot, the silky, airy texture of the french toast is almost like pudding. Pudding for breakfast? You know it.
French Toast with Vanilla Bean and Lemon
- 1 small loaf eggy bread (like challah)
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 inch section of vanilla bean, split
- Heat the milk just until steaming and remove from heat. Scrape the vanilla seeds into the milk, throw in the hull too. Steep for 10 minutes. Remove the hull.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Slice the bread into 2″ slices.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Slowly whisk in the milk, and then add the sugar, salt, and zest. Dip 4 or 5 pieces of bread, and soak for 2 minutes. The bread should be quite soaked, and almost falling apart. Use a spatula to transport to the skillet if needed.
- Add a tablespoon of butter to the skillet, and add the bread. Cook each side for 3 minutes or so. Keep cooked pieces on a plate in a 200 degree oven.
Serve with maple syrup.