Have you ever noticed that there are certain foods that you automatically associate with a particular show or movie? Gilmore Girls has a bunch: coffee, pizza, and pop tarts come to mind. But my favorite Gilmore Girls treat would definitely be Mallomars! This iconic cookie — graham cracker base, marshmallow filling, and chocolate coating — was Rory’s gift to Lorelai on her birthday (remember when she used them to spell out a birthday message? #goals).
Here’s an easy recipe for your own version, given a birthday twist with the addition of some rainbow sprinkles. Because what birthday treat would be complete without them?
You start with a simple slice-and-bake graham cracker cookie, followed by marshmallows and sprinkles. Dunk the whole thing in melted chocolate and finish with some more sprinkles if you like. They taste surprisingly close to the real thing (if the real thing was filled and topped with sprinkles), and you have the added bonus of bragging rights — you made your own Funfetti Mallomars!
This would make the perfect accompaniment to your next Gilmore Girls binge fest. I think the girls would approve.
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 10 jumbo-sized marshmallows (or 15 regular)
- 1/3 cup rainbow sprinkles
- 2 cups semi or bittersweet chocolate chips
- Beat sugar, honey, butter, and milk in the bowl of an electric mixer until it is light and fluffy. Add both flours, baking soda, and salt and beat again until just combined.
- Working on a lightly floured surface, shape the dough into a log 1-1 1/2″ in diameter by about 8″ long. Freeze until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut dough into 1/4″ slices and place on your prepared baking sheet. Bake cookies until golden brown around the edges, which should take about 10-15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Slice marshmallows in thirds horizontally, or halves if using regular sized marshmallows.
- Fill a small dish with the sprinkles and another with water. Working with one marshmallow at a time, press the cut side into the sprinkles and the other side into the water. Place the marshmallow, sprinkle-side up, onto a cookie. Repeat with remaining ingredients; let set for 1-2 hours.
- Melt the chocolate chips in the top half of a double boiler, set over barely simmering water.
- Working with one cookie at a time, place on a fork and dunk halfway into the chocolate. Use a spoon to pour the chocolate over the top half. Tap the handle of the fork on the edge of the bowl to remove any excess. Return to the baking sheet and top with additional sprinkles, if desired. Repeat with remaining cookies. Store in the fridge in an airtight container.