Around here, busy times call for muffins. They’re perfect for a quick breakfast, spur of the moment errand, or an afternoon at the playground. These muffins have a hint of sea salt, orange, ginger, and a touch of chili powder to spice things up. The overall effect is sweet, savory, and delicious. And, with whole wheat flour and just a touch of sugar, they’re a treat you can feel good about.
Ginger Orange Olive Oil Muffins
Makes: 10 large muffins
- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour (Bob’s Red Mill is terrific)
- 2 tablespoons fine ground corn meal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt plus more for muffin tops
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup orange zest
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 10 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and chili powder in a large bowl and set aside.
- Using a peeler, peel the zest off of the orange (do your best to avoid the with pith). Slice the zest into thin strips, and then mince. Set aside.
- Beat together the sugar and eggs until creamy, then add the vinegar, zest, ginger, and yogurt. With mixer on low, fold in the olive oil. Pour into the flour mixture and stir just until combined.
- Spoon into the muffin tin, filling each cup nearly to the brim. Sprinkle the top of each muffin with a tiny pinch of sea salt. Bake for 30 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 15 minutes and serve. Muffins will keep sealed and at room temperature for 2 days.
We’ve got 15 more snack recipes for busy moms!