Gluten-Free Lactation Cookies for the Milk-Makin' MamaTaylor Newman
Teas, tinctures, capsules, carrot juice: moms who want to boost their breast milk supplies have many methods for doing so. I’ve been dabbling in all of them, and so far, eating lactation cookies tops the list as my favorite. (Because, duh!) I’ve been eating—and baking—up a bunch of different types, and I’ve finally perfected my recipe.
While chowing down on these chewy, chocolatey, nutritious treats is surely not as helpful, supply-wise, as clocking time on the pump is, they certainly can make pump time—and, hey, any time—a little more fun. They’re packed with lactation-promoting galactagogues, too, so they definitely don’t hurt in that respect. I do notice a difference in my supply when I snack on these cookies throughout the day, and some moms say they get even better results from nom-ing on uncooked lactation cookie dough. (This statement is not FDA-approved or a substitute for proper medical advice and all of that, but it may have just made your day.)
So what are you waiting for, milk-makin’ mama? Whip up a batch of these babies and make your boobies smile.
- 1 cup gluten-free flour, your choice (I use ½ cup gluten-free oat flour, and ½ cup quinoa flour. Both oats and quinoa are well-reputed for their milk-boosting properties)
- 1 ½ cups gluten-free oats
- ½ cup unrefined sugar
- ¾ cup coconut oil (you can also use butter, but coconut oil contains healthy fats you need while breastfeeding)
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup raw hemp seeds (optional) (a milk-booster)
- 2 Tablespoons flax seed meal (a milk-booster)
- 2-3 Tablespoons nutritional yeast (a milk-booster)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 egg
- 2-3 Tablespoons water (you can add more, one Tablespoon at a time, if your dough seems too dry after mixing)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (optional)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (optional)
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips (optional) (I use these)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Spoon Tablespoon-sized balls of batter onto greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes, or until done.