Memorial Day is just around the corner, which means grilling season is about to get in full swing! I absolutely love grilling. Not only does it mean I can cook without heating up the kitchen, but grilled food also just tastes good. In all honesty, I don’t care if the weather is summery or not, I use the grill all year round because the food is so yummy!
Grilling doesn’t just have to be about savory food. There are some great dessert options out there and I have a recipe to prove it: this super easy, super delicious, and super gooey Grilled Chocolate Strawberry Galette. It’s also super simple to throw together, and is pretty much like eating a chocolate covered strawberry, which is always a good thing.
This galette can be cooked right in a cast iron pan (or on top of aluminum foil and parchment paper). Just throw it on the grill once the hamburgers and hot dogs are done cooking, and it will be ready just about when everyone will be craving dessert!
Grilled Chocolate Strawberry Galette
Makes: 8 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: ~35 minutes
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 pound strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 refrigerated store-bought pie crust or homemade pâte brisée (I used store-bought crust, but if you go the homemade route, only use
- Half of this pâte brisée recipe)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons turbinado sugar (about 1 teaspoon white sugar can be substituted)
- Heat the grill to 350-375 F. (If your grill doesn’t have a built-in thermometer, use a simple oven thermometer placed inside the grill.) I kept my grill around medium to maintain this temperature. Once the grill is preheated, turn one of the burners off (if you have 3 burners, turn off the center one). Be sure to keep checking the temperature and adjusting the heat on the burner(s) that is still on, as needed, to maintain the 350-375 temperature throughout the cooking process.
- Whisk together the sugar and cornstarch. Add the strawberries and chocolate chips and stir well.
- Place the pie crust in a cast iron pan (or on a large piece of parchment paper placed on top of aluminum foil). Then spoon the strawberry mixture onto the crust, leaving a border of about 3 inches all the way around. Fold the dough up over the sides, pinching as you go around to keep the dough in place.
- Brush the crust with egg (you won’t need all of it), then sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Place the galette on the grill over the burner that is turned off. (If you have 2 burners, rotate the galette a few times during the cooking time. If you have 3 burners, place the galette in the center of the grill over the middle burner that has been turned off – rotating the galette will not be necessary.)
- Close the grill cover and cook for 30-40 minutes, until crust is well browned. Keep an eye on the grill temperature and adjust the heat as needed. Carefully remove the galette from grill when done cooking and let rest 5-10 minutes before digging in. Then cut into individual slices, and enjoy.