Thanks to Melissa’s Produce for sponsoring this post by giving me Hatch Chile Cookbooks for free.
As you know, I am a sucker for spicy food, especially spicy savory dishes. But when it comes to dessert, I want it to be sweet. Hatch chocolate chip cookies entered my life about a year ago, and I have to admit I was a bit skeptical about chile in my chocolate chip cookie until I took a bite. Now I insist on having them this way. They are one of the most perfect creations I have ever had. Lucky for all of us the recipe, along with a gang of other hatch chile recipes, are in the new cookbook from Melissa’s Produce written by Sharon Hernandez and Chef Ida Rodriguez. I recently met with one of the authors, Chef Ida Rodriguez, and she showed me how to make the cookies step by step. I took pictures of the whole process to share with you. The folks over at Melissa’s were kind enough to share the recipe with us and 4 cookbooks (each worth $24.99) for my friends here on Babble. Don’t forget to enter for a chance to win. In the meantime, here is the recipe! Here is a little side note: The unfortunate part is hatch chiles come into season once a year. You have to buy them now and preserve them for the rest of the year, or buy them dried or in powder form. They also come in mild to hot, one of the only chiles where the growers can separate them by heat level.
Hatch Chocolate Chip Cookies 1 of 11
Take a look at your new best friend..... Hatch chile chocolate chip cookies. Perfectly spicy and sweet! Oh how I love them!
Ingredients 2 of 11
Here's what you'll need! Including the rubber gloves that will keep your hands from burning when chopping the hatch chile.
Cream The Butter And Sugar 3 of 11
Butter and sugars go in first. Mix until smooth.
Eggs 4 of 11
Eggs in the batter.
Add Some Vanilla 5 of 11
Vanilla makes all cookies taste great, these are no exception.
Flour 6 of 11
Chef Ida adding in her flour.
Chocolate Chips 7 of 11
Welcome the chocolate chips into the dough.
Hot Hatch Chiles 8 of 11
You'll need to wear rubber gloves to cut these chiles. She used hot chiles in this batch but you can also use mild. I personally favor the hot.
Chile In The Dough 9 of 11
Mix your finely chopped chile into the dough.
Heaping Tablespoon 10 of 11
On a wax paper or baking mat lined cookie sheet drop dough by a heaping tablespoon onto the sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
Chef Ida And I 11 of 11
Chef Ida and I..... I practically ate the whole plate! Thank you again Chef Ida for sharing your delicious recipe with us!
Recipe from Melissa’s Produce Hatch Chile Cookbook:
Ingredients for Hatch Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- 2 – sticks unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 – cup sugar
- 1 – cup brown sugar (packed)
- 2 – eggs
- 2 – teaspoons vanilla
- 3 – cups all purpose flour
- 1 – teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 – teaspoon salt
- 2 – cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 – hatch chiles (roasted, peeled, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit
- Use a handheld mixer or stand mixer and cream together butter and sugars until smooth.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, then mix in vanilla.
- Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt, then mix in the chocolate chips and chiles.
- Drop the dough by heaping tablespoons onto a baking mat lined cookie sheet.
- Bake until the cookies begin to brown about 10 – 12 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Makes about 4 dozen.
For a chance to win a hatch chile cookbook:
1. To enter, leave a comment on the post below telling us what you usually make with hatch chiles or what you would like to make with them! BABBLE COMMENTS ONLY. FACEBOOK COMMENTS ARE INELIGIBLE WILL NOT BE COUNTED.
2. Only 1 entry per person is allowed.
3. This Giveaway entry period starts on Monday, August 12th at 12:00:01 AM EST and ends on Saturday, August 31st at 11:59:59 PM EST.
4. We will choose 4 potential winner in a random drawing on or about Monday, September 2nd and send notice to that person via email. If you are a potential winner but fail to claim your prize within 3 days of us sending you notice or are otherwise in non-compliance with the Giveaway rules, then we will choose an alternate winner.
5. We will announce the winners here on or about Monday, September 9th at 12:00 PM EST.
6. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited. Odds will depend on the number of eligible entries See the complete general rules and eligibility requirements that apply to all Giveaways here.
THIS GIVEAWAY IS CLOSED! CONGRATS TO THE 4 WINNERS!
Whitney L., Susan C., Beverly M., and David S.
For more recipes from Nicole Presley click over to her blog: Presley’s Pantry
Nicole loves pinning. Follow her on Pinterest.