Homemade Holiday Gifts of Food: Chocolate Gingerbread Biscotti RecipeJennifer Savor the Thyme
Coffee and biscotti are a match made in heaven and luckily, they are committed to each other. Although that may seem like a dramatic statement to you, I am a lover of coffee and biscotti as an occasional treat and I would be touched if someone gifted me with homemade Chocolate Gingerbread Biscotti.
Trust me when I say that it is worth the time to make and as with yesterday’s compound butter, you can customize the biscotti recipe to the person and the season. Personally, I think Chocolate Gingerbread is a classic Christmas and Holiday combination…
Chocolate Gingerbread Biscotti
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 cups packed dark or light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flours, cocoa powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy and then add the eggs and mix until well combined. Be sure to scrape the bowl well at least one time during the mixing.
4. Pour the flour mixture into the butter mixture and stir to form firm dough.
5. Place the dough into a flat log shape on the prepared baking sheet. The size should be between 10 by 4 inches to 12 by 4 inches.
6. Bake until slightly firm, about 25 minutes and then allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
7. Place the biscotti on a cutting board and using a sharp serrated or bread knife, cut biscotti diagonally into ¾ to 1-inch-thick pieces.
8. Place the pieces back onto the baking sheet and bake an additional 8-10 minutes when the edges are crispy but the middles are still slightly soft. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.