I am having a blast with holiday themed treats now that my daughter understands all of the fun surrounding the holidays. She is at that fun age where she gets into the arts and crafts stuff, cutting out paper hearts, making chains of construction paper, and clipping tons of doily snowflakes for our windows. When it came time to think of a fun Valentine’s Day food craft I was inspired by Brooke’s Pumpkin Pop Tarts and decided to try my own version of Valentine Pop Tarts. The recipe called for pre-made pie crust, which I always have on hand, and I filled them with some homemade strawberry jam. As you can see, our homemade versions came out really well. In fact, the hardest part was waiting until they cooled to start munching on them for a fun treat. They were a delicious snack we all loved, I can already tell you that we’ll be making an Easter version this spring!
Homemade Valentine’s Pop Tarts
- 1 package of refrigerated pie crust
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sugar sprinkles for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- 2. Transfer the pie crusts to a lightly floured surface and cut it into 2×3 rectangles. It is easiest to measure the pieces with a ruler, score the crust with a knife and cut it with a pizza cutter.
- 3. Spoon about 2 teaspoons of strawberry jam onto one of the rectangles, leaving about 1/4 inch of space before the edge. Use a cookie cutter or paring knife to cut heart shapes out of the second rectangle. Then place the heart rectangle over the jam and seal the edges together with the tines of a fork. Baking on a cookie sheet for 8 to 10 minutes, then allow to cool.
- 4. To make the glaze mix the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla in a bowl and add food coloring if desired. Drizzle the glaze over the warm pop tarts and sprinkle with sanding sugar.