You may know Thom Filicia’s as the uber-cool design force in Style Network’s Dress My Nest. Not only is he a talented designer, he’s also a splendid party host. With a summertime full of picnics, luau’s, and neighborhood cookouts, a few tips from one of the country’s top designers is definitely appropriate. We asked Thome about his Coolest At-Home Summer Entertaining Tips, and pulled together a list of idea you’re sure to love.
1) Bring the Indoors Outdoors! Add color, texture and pattern to your outdoor space and roll out some beautiful, colorful cotton rugs or place some big comfy floor pillows around for casual and comfortable seating.
2) Great, functional Trays. One of my favorite summer dining tips is to use the tray as a placemat so that you can easily carry food and drinks in and out.
3) Iced Beverages! Iced coffee is a staple for many people during the summer months Stand out with your very own customized Brew Over Ice iced tea or coffee! Try my favorite, “Celestial Seasoning’s Half and Half (Black Tea and Lemonade) or “Nantucket Blend® Iced coffee”. This is a quick, delicious and thoughtful way to let your guests know you care about what they want! You can even use one of your trays to serve your delicious Brew Over Ice with a scoop of your favorite ice cream in a tall pint glass with a long spoon to mix it all together. YUM!
4) Creative Use of Candles. Use a multitude of votives and stylish hurricanes and lanterns to provide sexy layers and atmosphere once the sun goes down.
5) Great Music List. Nothing gets a party started like a great play-list! Try Pandora.com if you’re feeling a bit lazy and want the internet God’s to put together a “Swinging to the 60’s” or “Rock around the clock” playlist for your gathering.
6) Easy, Cloth Napkins. Rather than using run-of-the-mill paper napkins, provide your guests with inexpensive and stylish bar towels that look casual and fun un-ironed in a simple napkin ring.
7) Outdoor fireplace/fire pit. An outdoor fireplace can be a wonderful addition to any summer night. They’re easy to find and can help extend your party outside from daytime to night Plus, who doesn’t love a good marshmallow roast!
Thom Filicia, one of House Beautiful’s Top 100 Designers and host and driving force behind the highly acclaimed Style Network’s Tacky House and Dress My Nest, has partnered with Green Mountain Coffee Roasters and Brew Over Ice K-Cup® portion packs this summer to give you the coolest tips to help you flawlessly throw the perfect summer party!
Looking for a reason to fire up the grill? Check out our favorite summer grilling recipes!