Editor’s Note: Babble is a part of The Walt Disney Company.
Day after day of cereal for breakfast can get boring — not to mention unhealthy — for your family. After all, it’s the most important meal of the day! Mix it up with a nutritious recipe.
As we know, kids can be picky eaters. But with all the fun colors (and mouth-watering smells) of this Huevos Rancheros recipe, it might just do the trick! With a few key ingredients — like beans, tomatoes, and eggs — you can make this healthier take on a classic Mexican dish in no time. It’s packed with delicious flavors that will take your breakfast game to the next level.
recipe adapted from Ana Garcia of La Villa Bonita
Makes: 4 servings
- 1/2 of a small Serrano pepper, steamed and seeds removed
- 14 ounces low-sodium canned tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup white onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea (or kosher) salt
- 4 6-inch corn tortillas
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups low-sodium black beans, warmed
- To make the sauce, blend Serrano pepper, tomatoes, and water until smooth.
- Place oil in a pan on medium heat for 1 minute. Add white onions and cook for 5 minutes, or until translucent.
- Pour the blended sauce mixture into the pan. Then season with salt and allow the sauce to come to a boil.
- Warm the tortillas in a dry pan. Then place in a clean dishtowel to stay warm.
- For the eggs, add oil to the same pan and fry them sunny-side up.
- To assembly your dish, place a tortilla on a plate and top with the fried egg. Add the sauce so that it’s over the egg whites, leaving the yolk exposed. Accompany with black beans on the side. Repeat for the remaining eggs, and enjoy!