My daughter likes her organic boxed mac and cheese just as much as the homemade stuff I make in the oven. The other day I went to make the quick box version and we were out. I knew it was finally time to try something I’d always thought of: mac and cheese in the microwave.
And it worked! It’s super easy and the perfect portion for her. I have to say, I might consider skipping the boxes altogether. So, next time you need mac and cheese in a snap, simply pull out your mug and go for it!
Microwavable Mac and Cheese in a Mug
- 1/3 cup pasta
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons 1% milk
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Combine the pasta and water in a large mug or bowl.
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes, then stir. (The water may overflow while it heats up. It is OK if this happens. To avoid, use a very large microwaveable bowl.)
- Repeat this for at least 2-4 more minutes, stirring at each 2-minute interval. The water should absorb completely and the pasta will be cooked through. If the pasta needs another minute, it’s OK to add one more teaspoon of water and microwave for another minute.
- Remove it from the microwave and stir in the milk and cheese. Microwave for another minute. Stir the cheese thoroughly into the pasta and eat up!