Editor’s Note: Babble is a part of The Walt Disney Company.
When it comes to comfort food, you can never go wrong with tomato soup. There’s just something about it that always leaves you with a warm, cozy feeling. We’re putting a healthier spin on the beloved family dish with this Italian tomato soup: Pappa al Pomodoro!
This classic Italian recipe combines tomatoes, basil, and bread to create a nutritious meal — perfect for cozying up by the fireplace this winter season.
Pappa al Pomodoro
Makes: 2 full (or 4 appetizer-sized) bowls
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 6 cups ripe roma tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Low-sodium vegetable broth (optional)
- Garlic clove
- 1 slice whole grain bread
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded (optional)
- In a pan, heat olive oil, garlic, and basil. Sauté until golden brown.
- Add in tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 30 minutes until juicy, stirring periodically. (Tip: If it’s not juicy enough, add a small amount of low-sodium vegetable broth.)
- Rub garlic clove all over the whole grain bread for additional flavor.
- Add bread to the center of the pan and allow to simmer for 30 minutes until it’s melted into the soup.
- Once softened, stir the bread thoroughly to create a cream texture. If desired, serve with basil, olive oil, and Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!