King Cake - more Fat Tuesday Recipes - and fun facts!kathypatalsky
Pass the King Cake please! And the frosty Hurricane, Milk Punch and Red Beans & Rice.. Grab these tasty, fun Fat Tuesday favorite recipes for Mardi Gras. I’ll even a throw in a few fun facts about these classic recipes!..
Fat Tuesday Mardi Gras Recipes
1. King Cake – this colorful glazed cake is sure to please!
Fun Fact: The “king cake” takes its name from the biblical three kings.
2. Mardi Gras Hurricane – these tall frosty pink glasses will have you saying cheers! to Mardi Gras.
Fun Fact: Created by Pat O’Brien in the 1940’s – this sweet rum-infused, passion fruit-flavored drink was served in hurricane-shaped glasses and handed out to sailors. It has been a popular New Orleans sip ever since.
3. Milk Punch – this creamy white drink is a fun, cozy way to toast to Fat Tuesday. It can easily be kid-friendly!
Fun Fact: The New Orleans version of milk Punch which contains milk, bourbon, sugar and vanilla – should not be confused with the Irish version which may be flavored with… melted butter.
4. Red Beans and Rice – this healthy, savory, spicy dish is a delicious combo to add to your feast. Modify the ‘classic’ recipe for a vegetarian-friendly option.
Fun Fact: This dish is traditionally made on a Monday (and flavored by Sunday night leftovers like pork bones).
5. Shrimp and Grits – this savory colorful combo will satisfy any comfort food craving – for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
Fun Fact: This South Carolina Low Country staple is a breakfast favorite that can simply be called “breakfast shrimp”.
6. Jambalaya – it doesn’t get more “Mardi Gras” than this one-pot wonder meal!
Fun Fact: This dish came about when the Spanish tried to make paella in a world with no saffron! Basically, saffron was subbed with tomatoes.
7. Pecan Pralines – this sweet nibble is a perfect end to your Fat Tuesday feast.
Fun Fact: We usually think of pecans when we think of pralines, but in Europe, almonds and hazelnuts may be commonly used.
Also check out the Family Kitchen Mardi Gras Foods Slideshow! with 15 festive recipes.
*fun facts from Wikipedia