Chocolate bunnies are classic Easter treats. I love tucking them in Easter baskets, but find my kids picking right past them, crushing the chocolates for fun, or leaving their little foil bodies around the lawn in lieu of more enticing eats like colorful jelly beans or miniature candy bars.
So, what if we rethought these chocolate bunnies entirely? Repurposing the candies into tiny, edible bunny cups is a great way to perk up your party table and bring new life to an old tradition.
Since the chocolate bunny itself is a dessert, we’ve filled them with no-(added)sugar Strawberry Banana Milkshakes. Because everyone deserves a little bit of sweet (with a little less sugar!), the “milkshake” recipe is a twist on the one-ingredient Banana Ice Cream — where frozen ripe bananas are blended to make a healthy and tasty treat. The ingredient list is simple, the preparation is snappy. This is a fun way to put some “pretty” on your party table in just a matter of minutes! Here’s how to make these easy Easter bunny milkshakes:
Grab some hollow chocolate Easter bunnies. I prefer the small chocolates — they’re just big enough to hold a satisfying amount of milkshake, without being so over-the-top impossible to eat. They look cute sitting next to a party plate, too.
Chocolate Covered Bunny Milkshakes
Makes: 4 servings
- 4 hollow chocolate bunnies
- 8 frozen strawberries
- 1 very ripe frozen banana, sliced
- 1/2 – 1 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon sprinkles
- 4 maraschino cherries
- Run a knife under very hot water for one minute.
- Slice the top 3/4″ from each of the bunny ears by gently sliding the hot knife through the chocolate. Discard the tops. Stand chocolate bunnies up on a serving platter.
- In a blender, combine strawberries, banana, almond milk, and vanilla. (Add just enough almond milk to make the Strawberry Banana Milkshake thick but pourable). Quick Tip: To prepare frozen bananas, simply remove peel, slice the banana into 1-2″ pieces, place in an airtight bag, and store in the freezer. You’ll have single portions for easy blending!
- Pour milkshake into each of the hollow chocolate bunnies.
- Garnish with sprinkles and a maraschino cherry. Serve with a paper straw.