Lemon Glazed Breakfast BunsKelsey Banfield
I recently attended baking camp and fell in love with making yeasted breads and breakfast buns. In fact, I came straight home and made this batch the minute camp was over. They are simple buns, moist and flavorful with a sweet lemon glaze. I was so proud to have these out in the morning for everyone to enjoy. If I can make these after one lesson, you can make these without one. They are so easy I can’t believe it took me so long to make them to begin with!
Lemon Glazed Breakfast Buns
4 cups sifted flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 sticks unsalted butter
1 pkg. active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
3 cups confectioners sugar
1. In a small saucepan warm the milk over medium heat until bubbles form around the edges. Remove from the heat, stir in the butter and allow to cool.
2. Meanwhile, sprinkle the yeast in the warm water and stir. Set aside for 10 minutes.
3. In a large bowl mix the flour, sugar and salt. Stir in the yeast water, milk and eggs and make sure everything is well combined. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator.
4. Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Divide the dough in half and roll out each half on a well-floured surface. Roll each slice up tightly like a jelly roll and slice it into 1-inch thick slices. Bake on a cookie sheet for 12 minutes, or until cooked through.
5. In a small mixing bowl combine the lemon juice, lemon zest and confectioners sugar. Once the rolls have cooled spread a little glaze over each one. Enjoy!