There have been dozens of clever ideas for using, reusing, and up-cycling mason jars. There are even companies now dedicated to the purpose of making a variety of mason jar lids, turning the classic glass jar into everything from piggy banks to cake pans. Though I adore a lot of the clever mason twists, spending money on special lids and gadgets seems to counteract the very purpose of using these accessible, versatile bottles.
So, when I discovered this super simple way to hack a mason jar into a snack shaker — using something I already had in the house — I was 100 percent ready to DIY it!
Whether you’re looking for a simple way to keep toddlers from spilling snacks in the car, or looking for a way to share small treats single-serve style, this creative hack is the best thing to happen to mason jars. Check it out, and make one of your own. It couldn’t be any simpler!
Mason Jar Snack Shaker
- Empty juice container
- Pint-sized mason jar
- You’ll need a pint-sized mason jar and an empty juice container with a plastic twist-top spout. Clean and dry the container, then gently pull at the seams to open the top. Slice the top 4″ from the carton, flatten on a table, and grab your mason jar lid.
- Draw a line around your lid, with the spout in the center of the circle. Then use sharp scissors to cut just inside the line.
- Set the circle on top of your mason jar. If it’s too large for the rim of the jar, simply snip and trim until the circle fits the top of your jar.
- Now, fill the jar with small snacks, crackers, or cereals. You can make your own mix or fill the jar with a single favorite snackable.
Another great way to use this jar? Fill it with bubblegum! No bubblegum machine (or pennies!) needed. The little spout will dispense everything one at a time, making it so surprisingly fun to get just one tiny treat.
- Now, twist the cap on and store until you’re ready to snack or share.
When it comes time to nosh, twist open your plastic lid and tip the mason jar. Whoosh! A few little snacks will fly out into tiny hands, making treat time extra fun (and extra tidy, too!).