I am all about food holidays and National Banana Bread Day is one of my favorites. In fact, it is probably right up there with National Cream Cheese Brownie Day which we celebrated earlier this month! National Banana Bread day is celebrated in my house every week, year round. My daughter loves banana bread for her snack (full disclosure, I do, too) and I often bake it up for her to take to school for her snack time. My favorite thing to do is bake it in mini-loaf pans. This way I can freeze two loaves while we work our way through the first one. They also look so cute in the mini-loaf pans. Here is my favorite banana bread recipe. It also works in a full size loaf pan if you’d prefer, either way it is delicious!
Banana Bread Loaves
makes 3 mini loaves
1 stick unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon good vanilla extract
3 ripe bananas, mashed
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¾ cup mini chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour a standard 9×5 loaf pan*.
2. Mix together butter and sugar until fully combined. Add eggs and vanilla extract, mix well. Add mashed bananas, mix again until completely combined.
3. In a separate bowl mix flour, soda, nutmeg, cinnamon and chocolate chips. Stir this mixture a few times and make sure the chips are fully coated with flour.
4. Working slowly, stir flour mixture into egg mixture. Keep stirring until all flour is fully incorporated. The batter may still be a little lumpy from the bananas, this is normal.
5. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 45 50 minutes or until top is golden and a cake tester comes out clean.
6. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then, carefully remove it from the pan and let it cool on a wire rack before serving.