During pregnancy there are these quiet, intimate moments in which you’re overcome with joy as you realize the miracle happening inside of you. Most days, though, it’s easier to get caught up in all the things you’re restricted to: deliciously gooey soft cheeses, your favorite seafood dish… And ironically, of all the times you could really kick your feet up and use a drink, growing a human is one of them! Let’s be honest, sometimes mama needs a margarita.
You’re in luck! Not only are these lovely mocktails an easy and delicious way to raise a glass during your pregnancy, they’re also high in nutrients and antioxidants your pregnant body craves — pineapples aid in digestion and are high in energy-generating vitamin B, oranges provide beta-carotene and potassium, and strawberries are packed with folic acid that every pregnant woman needs.
And if you’re hosting, there’s nothing sweeter than being aware of and sensitive to your guests’ needs. Whip up one of these bright concoctions to ensure your mama-to-be guest isn’t empty handed:
1 fresh squeezed blood orange
1 cup tart cherry juice
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime
1 can coconut seltzer (we used LaCroix)
1. Combine orange, cherry, and lime juice.
2. Cube 1 cup pineapple. Use citrus squeezer to juice cubes, add to mixture.
3. Stir and divide between two glasses, top with coconut seltzer and ice. Garnish with a pineapple spear.
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime
1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon
1 tablespoon fresh squeezed orange juice
salt for rim
1. Make simple syrup: in a saucepan over low-medium heat, combine sugar and water, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Chill in refrigerator at least 1 hour.
2. Combine simple syrup and all fresh squeezed juices in a cocktail shaker with ice and shake until chilled.
3. Use one of the squeezed limes to wet the rim of the glasses, and then dip in a plate of salt. Fill glasses with juice mixture.
Spritzy Strawberry Lemonade
1 tablespoon sugar or simple syrup
1 1/2 lemons
1. Add sugar or simple syrup to the bottom of a tall glass. Muddle the strawberries in the glass and squeeze the lemons on top.
2. Fill the remainder of the glass with seltzer water and stir. Top with ice and garnish with a cucumber spear.
Cheers to you, mama!More On