My Top 5 Ice-Cream Sandwich Flavors for 4th of JulyKelsey Banfield
I love serving ice-cream cookie sandwiches in the summer. They are always a hit with both kids and adults and there are endless flavor variations. Last week I made a great ice-cream sandwich for our Father’s Day cookout. I sandwiched homemade coffee ice-cream between two freshly baked Chocolate Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies. The chocolate coffee combination was a huge hit, even, interestingly, with my daughter who has never had a drop of coffee in her life. With Fourth of July picnics right around the corner I thought I’d share some of my favorite ice-cream cookie sandwich flavors and, of course, the recipe for those yummy cookies (which are perfectly delicious on their own!)
My Top 5 Ice-Cream Sandwich Ice-Cream Cookie Flavors for 4th of July:
1) Chocolate Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies with Coffee Ice-Cream (see recipe below)
2) Chocolate Chip Coconut Cookies with Toasted Coconut Ice-Cream
3) Classic Butter Shortbread Cookies with Chocolate Chip Ice-Cream
4) Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies with Classic Vanilla Ice-Cream
5) Sugar Cookies with Cinnamon Ice-Cream
Chocolate Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 c. sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
1/2 c. Oats (not quick cooking)
1/2 c. semisweet chocolate chips
1 pint good quality coffee ice-cream to make 8 cookie sandwiches
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl. Set aside.
2. In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. With the mixer on low slowly add the flour mixture until everything is completely combined. Then, add in oats and chocolate chips, only beating enough to just incorporate them.
3. Scoop dough with a 2″ cookie scoop onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silpat. Place scoops 2″ apart. Bake for 14-15 minutes or until cookies are baked through and not wet in the middle. Remove to a wire rack and allow to cool completely before assembling the ice-cream sandwiches.
How to Assemble the Ice-Cream Sandwich:
1. Once cookies have cooled place two small scoops of ice-cream on the underside of one cookie. Place another cookie on top and press downward to force the ice-cream to the edges. Eat immediately. Or, wrap in plastic wrap to store in the freezer until ready to serve.