Although delicious, roasting chicken and root vegetables can feel very labor intensive, especially on busy weeknights. But a good sheet pan recipe can provide all the great flavors of perfectly roasted ingredients with the convenience of a satisfying meal that cooks together on a single pan.
Besides an excellent depth of flavor, this sheet pan chicken recipe features crispy chicken skin, tender meat, and smoky sweet roasted root vegetables. A hint of balsamic vinegar lends tang and helps the chicken to brown, while fresh rosemary makes the meal aromatic and rich. Not bad for about 30 minutes in the oven, huh?
Once you’ve got the basics of the recipe down, feel free to mix things up. Potatoes, sweet potatoes, radishes, or celery root would all sub in beautifully. The glaze is also a great place to experiment — try butter and lemon juice, or freshly squeezed orange juice in place of the balsamic.
Roasted Sheet Pan Chicken with Root Vegetables and Rosemary
Makes: 4 servings
2 pounds chicken leg and thighs
sea salt (to taste)
pepper (to taste)
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
4 medium carrots, peeled and chopped into 3/4-inch segments
1 large turnip, peeled and chopped into 3/4-inch segments
1 large rutabaga, peeled and chopped into 3/4-inch segments
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, minced
1. Preheat oven to 475 F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Use a paper towel to blot the chicken dry. Sprinkle both sides with sea salt and pepper; set seasoned chicken pieces on a plate and allow to come to room temperature.
3. Meanwhile, whisk 2 tablespoons olive oil with the balsamic.
4. Toss vegetables with 1 tablespoon olive oil and a pinch of sea salt, and spread on the baking sheet. Set chicken, skin side up, on top of the vegetables and slide into the oven.
5. Roast for 20 minutes. Remove tray from oven, flip vegetables, brush the chicken skin with the balsamic mixture, and sprinkle everything with the minced rosemary. Roast for another 10-15 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted sideways through the meatiest part of the thigh reads 165 F.
6. Rest chicken for 5 minutes and plate; for added flavor, spoon some of the pan juices over the chicken and vegetables. Garnish with fresh rosemary and black pepper.