It doesn’t matter how many times I hit the 5 pm dinner hour, it’s a frenetic rush. It’s like I forget everyday that I have to make dinner until, suddenly, I’ve got four little rugrats begging at my hips. They get hungry every single night, yet somehow I’m caught like a deer in headlights, wondering what to make.
This nightly event is mostly due to the fact that real meal planning takes time. I have to hunt through favorite recipes and list them every week. I have to go to the store to get the proper ingredients. I have to coordinate the thawing of meat in the morning with the browning of meat just as end-of-the-day work stuff seems to call. One dinner isn’t merely one quick conjuring of a recipe. It’s hours and hours of planning, shopping, and preparation to seamlessly pull it all off.
And this is why I love easy dinner ideas. It seems I’m not the only one. Several months ago I polled the readers of my blog, asking what they most wanted and needed from me, their resident foodie friend. An overwhelming number of them responded with the exact same thing: simple dinner ideas.
Yep, we all feel the 5 pm (or for some people 6 or 7 pm) crunch. So coming across truly, divinely easy-to-make dinners that everyone in your house actually enjoys eating is a rarity worth writing about. Well, you’re in luck, as this here dinner is just that. Lasagna, which everybody loves, made in one pot, which I love! It’s quick, simple, and so, so good. Here’s how to get it on your table in just 30 minutes, stat…
Start by browning a pound and a half of Italian sausage. Starting with this sausage makes for a quick and simple dinner because no additional seasonings are needed.
About 5 minutes before serving, place slices of fresh burrata or mozzarella on top. Cover and let cook until melted. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and douse with fresh chopped basil.
Your dinner, sweet darlin’, is ready to serve. Congratulations on making the one-pot magic by dinnertime, on the dot.
Makes: 6 servings
1 ½ pounds Italian sausage
8 lasagna noodles, broken in half
1 (28 ounce) can marinara sauce
2 cups water
1 cup Parmesan or Italian cheese mix
2 large rounds fresh burrata or mozzarella cheese, sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
pepper, to taste
½ cup fresh chopped basil
1. In a large skillet brown Italian sausage over medium heat until fully cooked.
2. Slide lasagna noodles into the skillet, making sure the sausage is well mixed between the noodles.
3. Pour marinara sauce and water over the mixture. Top with Parmesan.
4. Cover and bring to a boil, then turn heat down to medium-low and allow mixture to simmer until the lasagna noodles are soft, about 15-20 minutes.
5. 5-10 minutes before serving, place burrata (or mozzarella) slices on top of the lasagna. Cover and cook just until melted. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with pepper, and garnish with fresh basil just before serving. Enjoy.