With some things in life, it’s easy to feel that we’ve learned it all, like preparing a grilled cheese. But recently, I discovered a completely new way to cook my cheesy sandwiches and I didn’t burn anything.
Going in, I’d thought that scraping burned corners was just part of the whole grilled cheese thing. Also, patiently hovering over the stove. But I’m happy to report that you can now forget about both, because I’ve got a better way to make grilled cheese — in the oven!
Simply butter one side of the bread, flip it, add cheese (and bacon and spinach), top with a buttered slice of bread, slide into the oven, and in just minutes, you’ve got grilled cheese for a crowd!
These oven-baked versions are exactly like a good, old-fashioned grilled cheese, but without the burned corners. Success!
Head below for all the details.
Oven-Baked Grilled Cheese with Spinach and Bacon
Makes: 4 servings
- 4 slices bacon
- 3 cups spinach
- Pinch sea salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 8 slices bread
- 4 ounces mild cheese, such as cheddar or colby
- Preheat the oven to 450 F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil or parchment.
- Set a medium-sized skillet over medium heat and cook the bacon until crisp, flipping halfway through. Set bacon on a paper towel-lined plate.
- With heat still on medium, add spinach and a pinch of sea salt to the same skillet, and cook, stirring frequently, for 4 minutes. Spoon into a bowl.
- Using all the butter, butter one side of each bread slice. Place 4 slices, butter side down, on the prepared baking sheet. Add the cheese, and then divide the bacon and spinach between the 4 slices. Top with the remaining slices, butter side up. Slide into the oven and bake for 4 minutes. Remove baking sheet from oven, carefully flip each sandwich, and slide back into the oven to bake for another 3-4 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling and bread is a deep golden brown.