Let’s face it, when it comes to homemade breakfast with kids, the struggle is SO real. One will demand a plate of pancakes and the other will want a bowl of cereal, all while you barely find time to brew yourself a cup of coffee.
Enter: Overnight Quinoa — it’s made with just five basic ingredients and bound to become your savior for chaotic mornings. Make this simple recipe at night then add your flavor toppings in the morning — easy peasy! While we’ve provided you with three flavor options, such as blueberry muffin and cinnamon apple, you can always customize them to your family’s liking.
Overnight Quinoa: 3 Ways
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 2-3 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- In a pan, add quinoa and water. Boil for 15 minutes until the water is absorbed.
- In a mason jar, add quinoa, milk, honey or maple syrup, and chia seeds. Mix together.
- Add your preferred flavor mix-ins by following the directions below.
- Store mason jar in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, top with your preferred garnish.
Optional Flavor Mix-Ins
- Blueberry Muffin Quinoa: Mix 1/3 cup blueberries, 1/4 cup slivered almonds, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon to the base then refrigerate overnight. In the morning, add blueberries, slivered almonds, and cinnamon to garnish on top.
- Cinnamon Apple Quinoa: Mix 1/3 cup diced apples to the base then refrigerate overnight. In the morning, add diced apples and a dash of cinnamon to garnish on top.
- Nut Butter Chocolate Banana Quinoa: Mix 2 tablespoons dark chocolate pieces and 2 tablespoons nut butter to the base then refrigerate overnight. In the morning, add banana slices, dark chocolate pieces, and nut butter to garnish on top.