When the holidays hit, party season hits. And the single most important tool to have in your host-a-party arsenal is a super quick, crowd-friendly appetizer.
Enter: the Pizza Puff. If you’ve never made this easy little app before, grab your printer and get the recipe in hardcopy, stat. Perfect for kids of all ages, Pizza Puffs are little golden bites of puffed yumminess, made with a magical mix of flour, eggs, and shredded cheese. Other people have enjoyed these one-bite noms with pepperoni mixed in as well. But the basic recipe is so versatile, you can actually fill a whole party table with dozens of different Pizza Puff flavors in less time than it takes to make a single batch of most appetizers.
Delicious when hot out of the oven and totally tasty even when cold, this simple dish is a great way to serve everyone on your list without breaking a sweat in the kitchen, or breaking the budget on highbrow party eats.
Here’s how to turn one batch into five different pizza apps:
Start by gathering all your ingredients. Just a few basics, really: flour, milk, baking powder, egg, and cheese.
Mix it all together in a large bowl and stir until a thick batter forms.
Stir in 1 1/2-2 cups of your favorite chopped pizza toppings. We decided to go with the following five for our stir-ins, but there are dozens of other delicious flavors that would be just as good. Basically, if you think it would taste great on top of a pizza, go ahead and stir it in!
If you’re turning one batch of Pizza Puffs into several different flavors, simply separate 1/3 cup scoopfuls of batter into different bowls, then stir in 1/3 cup of toppings.
Transfer to a mini muffin pan (which has been sprayed with nonstick baking spray — the sort that comes with flour in it) and bake until golden.
When your Pizza Puffs emerge, they’ll be golden and ready to remove from the pan!
Serve with a side of pizza sauce, share, and enjoy. We love making these yummy puffs before Thanksgiving and even on Christmas Eve. My kids always enjoy baking them and stand in the kitchen, anxiously waiting for the hot puffs to emerge from the oven. This recipe really turns any occasion into a pizza party!
And that’s something both kids and mamas can celebrate.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- Nonstick baking spray with flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 5 ounces shredded Parmesan blend
- 1 1/2-2 cups chopped toppings (see note below)
- Fresh basil, chopped (for garnish)
- 1 cup pizza sauce (for dipping)
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Spray a 24-cup mini muffin pan with nonstick baking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, milk, egg, and shredded Parmesan until well combined. Fold in toppings.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan. Bake until golden, about 15-21 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool slightly before removing puffs from the muffin pan. Garnish with basil, if desired. Serve with pizza sauce for dipping.
Suggested Flavor Combos:
- Margarita | 1 1/4 cups diced tomatoes + 1 clove chopped garlic + 1/4 cup fresh basil
- Hawaiian | 1 cup diced ham + 1/3 cup crushed pineapple + 2 tablespoons chopped jalapeño or cilantro
- Meat Lover | 3/4 cup cooked crumbled sausage + 3/4 cup bacon bits
- Veggie | 1/3 cup each chopped bell peppers + green onions + sliced olives + mushrooms
- Pepperoni | 1 1/2 cups mini pepperoni