Potato Latkes: Recipe Accents and Vegan Tips!kathypatalsky
I’ve always loved Potato Latkes. Those toasty disks of potato goodness. Soft insides, slightly crispy outside crust. Dipping sauces galore. Spices and veggies to enhance the potato flavor. And this year I was anxious to give my potato latkes a few vegan flavor boosts. Including finding a good egg replacer option. Here are my favorite ingredients to veganize your Potato Latke recipe…
Tips for Potato Latkes: Recipe Accents, Vegan-Friendly
* Egg Replacer. Instead of eggs, I use applesauce! Applesauce is already a classic side dish with latkes — so this way I simply blend that fresh apple flavor — a hint of sweet — right into the latke itself. It adds a tart apple, sweet, fresh flavor that really enhances the savoriness of the latke. I use about 1/2 cup of applesauce to replace two eggs. The applesauce does also help bind the potato together as it cooks.
* Frying Oil. I love safflower oil for frying potato latkes. It gives the latkes a super crispy light texture. Coat the pan in a thin layer and start a high-heat sauté!
* Sour Cream. I love a white creamy dollop on the side of potato latkes. For vegan options I either use Vegenaise, a sweetish vegan mayo. Or some tofu-based sour cream. If using sour cream, I like to whip the sour cream with a teaspoon of maple syrup and dash of pink salt. This loosens the tofu sour cream a bit and adds a hint of savory sweetness as well.
* Add Some Veggies! I love adding chopped or minced veggies to my latkes. Try scallions, chives, onion, garlic, celery, carrots, bell pepper — and even leafy greens like kale and spinach.
* Make it Cheezy. Nutritional yeast is an amazing addition to potato latkes. It adds a super savory, cheesy flavor while adding nutrients as well. I also love adding nutritional yeast to my hash browns — it pairs so well with potatoes.
* Spice it Up! I add plenty of spice accents. Try cayenne, paprika, pepper, dried parsley, garlic powder and more. Potatoes are a perfect canvas to create virtually any flavor you’d like.
* Make it International. Try Indian-inspired latkes with cumin, a few cooked lentils folded in and turmeric. Try Tex-Mex Latkes with chipotle seasoning and cilantro. Or a Greek-inspired latke with lemon peel, crushed olives and parsley — dipping sauce vegan plain soy yogurt.
* Mix and Match. You don’t need to use white potatoes for your latkes. Try sweet potato latkes, purple potato latkes and more. You can even add in accents of mashed beans, rice and lentils if you want a uber-creative latke.
* Egg Replacer Two. And yes, mashed beans make another fabulous egg replacer for your latke.
* Crisp it! I like to roll my latkes in Panko bread crumbs for an extra crispy fry.
What are your favorite creative latke tips?
Don’t miss the latest from Family Kitchen – Like Us on Facebook!
More on Family Kitchen: