Sometimes you just need a little bite. And it’s those times that call for something like these sweet little ice cream sandwiches.
We’ve been mostly gluten-free for awhile here — not for medical reasons, but simply because we just feel better with less white flour in our lives. And it couldn’t be easier these days, as there are gluten-free substitutes for pretty much every type of food imaginable. I came up with the idea for these sandwiches after making peanut butter “pumpkins” last fall. The pretzels added such a delightful hint of salt and crunch, and I knew they’d pair perfectly with a scoop of ice cream.
And since I was customizing, I decided to make the sandwiches vegan as well, for my daughter. We used our favorite vegan cookie dough ice cream (which happens to be gluten-free too!), and gave them a dunk in some dairy-free chocolate. Followed by a healthy coating of sprinkles. Because it’s summer — and you must have sprinkles!
Feel free to use any ice cream, frozen yogurt, sorbet, or even an assortment, as well as your choice of chocolate coating. These would be delicious rolled in cookie crumbs, chopped nuts, or finely ground peppermints too!
Pretzel Ice Cream Sandwiches
Makes: 3 dozen sandwiches
- 72 pretzel twists (gluten-free or regular)
- 1 pint (about 2 cups) ice cream (vegan or regular), sorbet, or frozen yogurt
- 4 ounces chocolate chips (regular or dairy-free)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, waxed paper, or foil. Place half the pretzels on your sheet. Scoop a heaping teaspoon of ice cream onto each pretzel and top with the remaining pretzels, pressing lightly. Freeze until solid.
- Melt the chocolate chips in the top half of a double boiler, set over barely simmering water. Working with one pretzel sandwich at a time, dip half into the melted chocolate and then immediately dip in the sprinkles. Return to your baking sheet and keep frozen until ready to serve.