It’s summer party season, which means it’s time to break out the fun stuff! My kids love cupcakes and all things party related, so I baked up these fun rainbow cupcakes in ice cream cones. It was super simple to do and the kids adored them!
Plus, they’re a great throwback recipe, reminiscent of the classic ’80s/’90s treat.
Rainbow Cupcake Cones
- 1 box white cake mix, prepared according to package directions
- Food coloring
- 2 cans white frosting
- Prep the cake batter according to package directions. Then divide the mix amongst three small bowls and dye the batter any colors you’d like.
- Place the cones in a baking dish. Layer in the dyed cake batter until you have about 1 inch remaining from the top of the cone.
- Carefully place the dish of cones in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the top springs back when touched and a cake tester inserted comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting: Divide the contents of the frosting between three bowls and dye the desired colors. Then scoop the colors in small freezer bags and snip a corner off.
- Use the freezer bags to frost the cupcakes, letting the colors swirl together to create a rainbow effect.