Red Velvet and Nutella Cake in a JarBrooke McLay
What happens when you take the classic flavor of red velvet cake, zap it in the microwave in under two minutes, then serve it layered with nutella and cream cheese frosting in a jar? I’d tell you, but since making a batch of such cakes myself, I’ve been living on a golden cloud while a shirtless Fabio feeds me grapes and escargot. Dreamy, people. That’s what this cake is.
If you can’t do dreamy tonight, no worries. You can make this cake, layer it with all that crazy-headed goodness, then twist on a canning lid and toss it in the fridge until you’re ready to have your world rocked. Now what could be better than that? I’ll ask Fabio then get back to you on that one.
Red Velvet Nutella Cake-in-a-Jar
- 1 box chocolate cake mix, prepared according to package directions
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 1 jar cream cheese frosting
- 3 pint-sized canning jars
1. Thoroughly wash and dry the inside of each canning jar. Spray the inside of each jar thoroughly with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Stir the red food coloring into the prepared cake batter. Spoon about 1 cup of cake batter into each jar. Cook one jar at a time in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, or until the cake is cooked through. Allow jars to cool slightly, then scoop the top half of cake from the jar. Spoon a tablespoon or so of Nutella into the center of the jar, top with a dollop of cream cheese frosting, then replace the top half of the cake back in the jar, add another layer of Nutella, then enough frosting to fill the rest of the jar.
3. Serve immediately or cover with a lid and store in the fridge or pop into the mail & surprise someone you love! Cakes should stay fresh in the fridge for up to 5 days, and can be mailed so long as they are topped with a canning jar lid and arrive at their final destination within 3 days.
For even more recipes in jar check out “Contain Yourself! 15 beyond-exciting desserts in jar!“