Red, White and Blueberry Philly Cheese Pound CakeJaime
Since the Declaration of Independence was written in Philadelphia, I thought it was only fitting to make up a recipe that uses Philadelphia cream cheese. My family has been using this pound cake recipe for over 40 years, and it is a perfect base for adding extra flavors. You have the option of dividing the batter and making half of the cakes raspberry and the other half blueberry. Or, you can simply add both kinds of berries into the entire batter.
Red, White, and Blueberry Cream Cheese Pound Cake
2 sticks (225g) unsalted butter, softened, but not quite room temperature
1 8 ounce (225g) package of cream cheese, softened slightly
1 1/2 (285g) cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 cups (250g) unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
6 ounces raspberries
6 ounces fresh blueberries
lemon glaze (recipe follows)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees (165 degrees celsius). Spray four mini loaf pans with non-stick cooking spray, and place on a cookie sheet.
2. In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and cream cheese. Pour in sugar and mix until smooth. Add in eggs, one at a time, mixing well until each is incorporated. *Mix in vanilla.
3. While ingredients are mixing, whisk together four, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl. Slowly add flour mixture to the wet ingredients.
4. Divided batter into two bowls. Fold raspberries into one, and the blueberries into the other. (Or you can skip dividing the batter and just fold both kinds of berries into one batter).
4. Distribute batter evenly among the four pans and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35-50 minutes. Drizzle with lemon glaze and let cool completely. Wrap any extras tightly in plastic wrap and freeze for up to one month.
*DeLacy was kind enough to point out that I forgot to tell you when to add in the vanilla. Problem solved. Thanks, DeLacy!
2 cups powdered sugar
juice of 1 lemon
2-3 tablespoons heavy cream
Mix all ingredients together until smooth. Add more juice or cream as necessary to achieve desired consistency.