Looking for a fun party food idea, or a way to get your kids to eat salad? These adorable and delicious mini bread bowls will accomplish both! Simply grab some white or wheat bread and a biscuit cutter, and in no time you will have super-cute crouton cups to fill with the salads of your choice, like chicken salad, a traditional green, Caesar, spinach, strawberry, or wherever your mind and your palate take you.
For baby or wedding showers, it’s so pretty to put out a mix of three or four different Salad Cups. Your guests will rave as they go back for more!
Kids will also enjoy the novelty of this easy pick-me-up and hopefully try something new. Plus, their little hands are the perfect helpers to assist you in pressing the bread into mini cupcake pans, then once out of the oven, help fill them. I’ve found that when kids help make a dish, they are much more likely to try it!
What should you do with those leftover slices of bread with a hole in the middle? Easy! Grab some eggs and make a Toad in a Hole for breakfast!
- 10 slices of white or wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Using a 2 1/2 or 3-inch biscuit cutter (or opening of a glass), cut rounds from each slice of bread. Once all rounds are cut, slightly roll them out with a rolling pin to flatten them a bit.
- Lightly spray a nonstick mini cupcake pan and one by one, press a round of bread into each opening — press with your fingertips to make the bread mold to the cup opening.
- Once all rounds are in, lightly brush each one with melted butter. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until crisp. It’s ok for the edges to brown crisp like a crouton.
- Once the cups are cool, fill with the salad of your choice. Just be sure to cut the veggies small to fit them in the cups.
Note: You can also make these in regular cupcake pans by using a 4-inch biscuit cutter. However, they won’t pop into your mouth. The larger ones are best eaten plated.