Waffles often go the sweet route, but fans of chewy, cheesy, tasty foods will be interested to know that savory waffles are just as amazing as their sweet counterparts. Besides, savory waffles are an excellent reason to have waffles with EVERY meal.
These tasty Chive and Cheddar Waffles cook up with a crisp, buttery edge and a pillowy center. For very best results, you’ll want to devour them as soon as your batch is ready (easy, right?!). The buttery cornmeal and flour base lends itself to improvisation — try combinations of your favorite cheeses and herbs. They are also very versatile. For brunch or brinner (breakfast dinner), they are perfect accompaniments to eggs, rich meats, or classic fried chicken, or can even be used for sandwiches!
Savory Chive and Cheddar Waffles
Makes: 12 4-inch waffles
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 cups buttermilk, well-shaken
4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
3/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (plus extra to garnish)
2 tablespoons shallot, minced
2 tablespoons chives, minced (plus extra to garnish)
ground black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat waffle iron.
2. Combine cornmeal, all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, and sea salt in a large mixing bowl.
3. In a small bowl, beat the eggs until fluffy. Whisk in buttermilk. Fold wet ingredients into the dry.
4. Stir in butter, cheddar, shallot, chives, and pepper to taste.
5. Cook waffles until light golden brown according to your waffle maker’s instructions. 1/4 cup batter should yield one 4-inch waffle.
6. Warm cooked waffles on a baking sheet in a 200 F oven until ready to serve. Garnish with a pinch each of shredded cheddar and chives.