Scrumptious Baked Chocolate Donut HolesKelsey Banfield
Last fall I enjoyed some baked pumpkin donut holes with my daughter and this winter I wanted to see if we could have some fun make a similar version, only in chocolate. We even “valentined” half the batch by rolling them in glaze and pretty sprinkles for the holiday! I vastly prefer making baked donut holes to the fried version. While I adore donuts, watching them frying in oil always makes me wary of eating too many – or any at all. While the baked version is not exactly fat-free, they are definitely lighter and less guilt-inducing to enjoy. We loved this recipe and definitely plan on making them again!
Scrumptious Baked Chocolate Donut Holes
makes between 16 and 20
adapted from Feastie
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons plain low-fat Greek Yogurt
1/4 cup 1 % milk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil OR coconut oil (I used vegetable oil)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
3 tablespoons whole milk
Sanding sugar as desired
1. Preheat the oven to about 375 degrees F. Spray a mini-muffin tin and set aside. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
2. In a large bowl whisk together the yogurt, milk, and coconut oil. Then fold in the flour mixture until a smooth batter forms.
3. Fill the mini-muffin cups 3/4 full. You should get between 16 and 20 holes out of this recipe, depending on how you fill the cups. Bake the donut holes for 8 to 10 minutes, or until they are puffed up and the tops spring back lightly when touched.
4. Allow the donut holes to cool for about three minutes, then remove them to a wire rack to cool completely. While they are cooling make the glaze by whisking together the sugar and milk. Add more milk by the teaspoon if you wish for it to be thinner.
5. Drizzle the cooling donut holes with the glaze. Or, alternatively, dip the cooling donut holes in the glazed. Sprinkle the glaze with Valentine’s Day sprinkles and serve!