Editor’s Note: Babble is a part of The Walt Disney Company.
With weekdays comes a crazy, busy schedules. From taking the kids to school to helping them with homework, it’s just so hard to find time to prepare dinner for the family — let alone a healthy one. Enter this Slow Cooker Tinga de Pollo recipe: the solution to your weeknight worries.
Not only is it filled with both protein and vegetables that offer a nutritious and mouth-watering taste, but it’s also a really simple dinner recipe! Just prep some soy chorizo then toss a few key ingredients, such as tomatoes and onions, into a slow cooker and your meal awaits when you arrive home. This classic Mexican dish makes for an easy dinner the whole family will love.
Slow Cooker Tinga de Pollo
recipe adapted from Ana Garcia of La Villa Bonita
Makes: 8 servings
- 12 ounces soy chorizo, crumbled
- 4 large garlic cloves, diced
- 3 pounds tomatoes, chopped
- 1 pound white onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped + more for garnish
- 1 whole chipotle chili
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken, shredded (tip: rotisserie chicken works if you’re short on time)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 8 whole wheat tortillas
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Cook the soy chorizo over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until the meat is brown.
- Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- In a slow cooker, add the tomatoes, onions, parsley, chili, adobo sauce, chicken, cooked chorizo, and broth. Cook on high for 3 hours, while occasionally stirring.
- Serve over tortillas and top with avocado slices and a dash of parsley. Enjoy!