If you love the idea of adding more greens to your family’s morning diet, but don’t always have the time to whip up a batch of freshly blended smoothies every morning, this idea is for you. It’s also for me. Because, I am one of those moms whose best intentions never seem to have a minute to breathe in the morning. The kids are up and rushing. There is homework-checking and backpack-filling, and shoe-finding. And somewhere in the middle of rush-rush-rush, go-go-go, I remember that I need to feed my kids. Breakfast happens every morning, and yet it still catches me by surprise.
Too many mornings, I’ll shove a granola bar (…found in the glove box) into their hurried little hands, or let the kids suck down a glug of coffee as I roll them out the passenger-side door in the carpool lane.
But not anymore, because we have discovered how to prep a whole month of three-minute breakfasts in less than 20 minutes. By putting together green smoothie freezer bags, now all the kids (or I) have to do in the morning is 1) grab a bag from the freezer and 2) blend it with 1 cup of liquid. Boom! A hearty, healthy breakfast is ready to go. Organic fruits, protein-packed seeds, and leafy greens all pureed into one deliciously simple sipper. The best part? We’ve discovered how to prep them into kid-sized baggies. So there’s no waste, and just enough smoothie that my kids can finish the whole cup!
Want to get in on the fun? It’s so easy! We’ve pulled together 21 of our favorite recipes, and a few of our best tips for making green smoothie packs that make delicious green smoothies every time. Here’s how to do it…
STEP 1: Prepare the Pack
Green Smoothie Freezer Pack Formula
1 Cup Greens + 1 Cup Fruit + 1 Tablespoon Booster
Start by purchasing a package of pint-sized freezer zip-top plastic baggies, then follow our foolproof formula above to fill each pack. This basic “formula” will make about 1 1/2 cups of smoothie — the equivalent of a cup of soda.
To make the task extra-simple, I love grabbing several bags of frozen fruit and frozen organic spinach or kale from the grocery store, then preparing a big batch of freezer packs all at once. When it comes to prepping your packs, the flavor possibilities are endless, but here are a few of our favorite combos:
- Tropikale | Kale + Pineapple & Banana + Chia Seeds
- Peachy Beachy | Spinach + Peach & Mango + Almond Butter
- Rocket Fuel | Arugula + Pineapple & Orange + Hemp Seeds
- Berry Nom | Spinach + Strawberries + Vanilla
- Power Pro| Kale + Avocado & Banana + Protein Powder
- Citrus Sunrise | Spinach + Orange & Pineapple + Hemp Seeds
- Coco Loco | Spinach + Bananas + Cocoa Powder
- Orchard Bliss | Kale + Plums & Apricots + Flax Seeds
- Little Greenie | Spinach + Grapes + Coconut Oil
- Super Blue | Kale + Blueberries + Maple syrup
- Dandy Mandy | Kale + Mango & Banana + Almond Butter
- PB4ME| Spinach + Banana + Peanut Butter & Cocoa Powder
- Sweet Pete | Spinach + Peach + Honey
- The Spooner | Spinach + Avocado & Banana + Almond Butter
- Pumpkin Patch | Kale + Pumpkin & Banana + 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- Berry Patch | Kale + Raspberries & Banana + Chia Seeds
- Almondine | Spinach + Blueberries + Almond Butter
- Black Beauty | Kale + Blackberries + Honey & pinch cinnamon
- Triple Treat | Spinach + Frozen Berries + Oatmeal
- Purple Cow | Kale + Bananas & Berries + Acai Powder
- Cherry Pie | Spinach + Cherries + Almond Butter
STEP 2: Freeze the Packs
Once your smoothie packs are filled, gently press as much air out of each pack as possible, then zip closed, and store flat in the freezer. Stack several of the packs on top of each other for maximum space-saving.
STEP 3: Blend and Enjoy
Add Smoothie Pack + 1 Cup Liquid. Puree and Serve.
When it’s time to serve, simply open your pack, pour into a blender, and add 1 cup of liquid. Puree until smooth, then serve and enjoy!
A few of our favorites:
• Coconut Milk
• Coconut Water
• Almond Milk
• Hemp Milk
• Juice (Pomegranate, Orange, Carrot, etc.)
• Greek Yogurt + Juice
Note: the bags can be stored in the freezer for up to 6 months.More On