Spicy Sausage Avocado and Shrimp EggrollsNicole Presley
Fusion cuisine has become so popular. We got Korean Mexican food, French American food, Italian Puerto Rican food, Peruvian Sushi, and the list goes on and on. People are constantly dreaming up new ways of evolving food to the next level. Without getting too heavy on my food philosophies, I decided to make an eggroll that would embody the innards of a spicy burrito and serve it with salsa. A modern day chimichanga if you will. There’s my contribution to the whole fusion craze. Chinese, let me introduce you to Mexican…. so nice to meet you. ENJOY!
Ingredients for Spicy Sausage Avocado and Shrimp Eggrolls:
- 1 1/2 – pounds shrimp (cleaned, deveined and cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1/2 – cup salsa (for salsa recipe, click here)
- 1 – pound ground pork
- 1/2 – teaspoon chili flakes (the kind you put on pizza)
- 1 – tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 – tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 – teaspoon black pepper
- 1 – tablespoon olive oil
- 2 – Avocados (sliced into strips)
- 1 – tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/3 – cup cold water
- 25 – spring roll wrappers (8×8)
- 3 – cups vegetable oil
- In a large bowl add raw shrimp and salsa and let marinade for 1 hour.
- In a large frying pan over a medium flame add shrimp and saute till all shrimp is pink. About 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from flame and set to the side.
- In a large bowl add ground pork, chili flakes, soy sauce, minced garlic, and black pepper. Mix well with hands till combined.
- In a large frying over medium flame add vegetable oil and allow to get hot. Then add ground pork mixture and cook until light brown/pink. Remove from pan and place in a bowl.
- Add cooked shrimp to the pork mixture and give it a good mix till combined.
- Spread Pork/Shrimp mixture on an aluminum foil lined cookie sheet to cool. Let cool to room temperature, then place in the fridge for an hour.
- Slice avocados and place on a dish. Set to the side.
- In a little dish mix cornstarch and water together, set to the side.
- Take a spring roll wrapper and make sure one of the points of the square is facing you. Add one tablespoons of shrimp/pork mixture 1 inch up from point of square that is facing you, then add a avocado slice on top of shrimp /pork mixture.
- Then take the point that is facing you and fold it up tightly, take the other point and connect the two together like an envelope, continue to roll fold tuck roll fold and tuck.
- When you get to the top of the roll dip your fingers in the cornstarch mixture them smear on tip of wrapper to seal eggroll.
- In a small sized pot over medium high flame add vegetable oil, and allow to get hot. Then add a few eggrolls to oil and fry on each side for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with salsa.
eggroll1 1 of 9Point facing you.
eggroll2 2 of 9Fold point facing you up.
eggroll3 3 of 9Fold point to the right into the center.
eggroll4 4 of 9Fold point to the left into the center. It should look like an envelope.
eggroll5 5 of 9Roll tightly.
eggroll6 6 of 9cornstarch wash seals wrapper shut.
eggroll7 7 of 9Ready and rolled.
eggroll8 8 of 9Add to hot oil, and fry till golden brown.
eggroll9 9 of 9Serve with Salsa.
For more recipes from Nicole Presley click over to her blog: Presley’s Pantry
Nicole loves pinning. Follow her on Pinterest.