Forget the green beer – this St. Patrick’s day sip on a creamy, minty white hot chocolate, spiked with a little crème de menthe or crème de cacao for the grownups, food coloring and marshmallows for the kids.
The formula couldn’t be easier. Simply warm milk and cream, add chopped white chocolate and stir until smooth. Peppermint extract adds a minty zing, and a few drops of green food coloring makes it extra festive.
For a grown-up St. Patrick’s Day treat, add a splash of crème de menthe or crème de cacao and top with whipped cream or chocolate shavings.
Mint White Hot Chocolate
Makes: 4 servings
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups half & half cream
- 8 oz. white chocolate, chopped
- 1 tsp. peppermint extract
- Few drops of green food coloring
- marshmallows (optional)
- In a heavy- bottomed pot, heat the milk and cream over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the white chocolate, remove from heat and set aside for a few minutes.
- Add the peppermint extract and food coloring and whisk until smooth.