I recently shared my recipes for quick homemade hot chocolate and homemade chai tea. This afternoon I put the two together. And you know what? It’s a match made in heaven. Rich and chocolaty, with a hint of spice, vanilla, and fragrant cardamom, this chai hot chocolate is a satisfying, warming winter cup.
Chai-Spiced Hot Chocolate
Makes: 4 servings
- 1 teaspoon cardamom seeds (or 10 cardamom pods)
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated cinnamon
- 10 whole cloves
- 4 peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 4 fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 4 cups milk
- 3/4 cup dark Dutch process cocoa
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Using a mortar and pestle or a coffee grinder, combine the cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, peppercorns, nutmeg, fennel seeds, and ginger.
- Heat the milk over medium heat, and whisk in the cocoa, chai mixture, and pinch of salt. When milk is just starting to steam, turn heat to low, and steep for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Heat mixture back to steaming, add the vanilla extract, and strain into mugs.
- Garnish with a dollop of unsweetened whipped cream and serve.