As the weather warms, I start craving fresher, lighter meals, with bonus points for recipes that include seasonal fruits and vegetables. This strawberry balsamic spinach salad fits the bill perfectly with luscious red strawberries and a hint of flavorful balsamic all atop tender baby spinach leaves. It makes for a satisfying lunch or a terrific and simple side for dinner.
Strawberry Balsamic Spinach Salad
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, plus a pinch or two more
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- 5 cups baby spinach leaves, washed and dried
- 3 tablespoons shallot, minced
- 1/2 cup sheep’s milk feta, crumbled
- fresh-ground black pepper to taste
In a small bowl or jar, whisk the balsamic and 1/4 teaspoon sea salt into the olive oil, whisking until mixture is emulsified.
Place the spinach leaves into a medium-sized bowl. Drizzle half the dressing over the leaves, and turn to coat with your fingers. Gently toss in the strawberries, shallot, and feta. Drizzle on a bit more dressing. Taste the salad and add more dressing or salt as needed. Finish with several twists of fresh-ground black pepper and serve.