Strawberry Nutella Puff Tart: It's like having dessert for breakfast, but better for you!fujimama
I love a good tart, so I decided that I needed a breakfast tart. Enter the Strawberry Nutella Puff Tart—a healthy breakfast option that looks like a gorgeous strawberry tart. This “tart” is made up of a whole wheat puff topped with a layer of plain nonfat Greek yogurt, and a strawberry Nutella filling. The puff dough is made using the same method used to make cream puffs, then it is spooned into a springform pan and baked. It is made using whole wheat flour and only a tablespoon of sugar—a whole lot healthier than you might guess and SO easy!
The Greek yogurt provides a nice creamy layer and a healthy boost of protein. The strawberry filling is made by slowly cooking a pound of frozen strawberries (no added sugar please!) with a tiny bit of brown sugar, until the strawberries have defrosted and a syrup has formed. Then you stir in some Nutella and it’s done! This filling is to die for—a cross between pie filling and syrup, with the combination of whole berries and syrup. The Nutella adds nutty sweetness and a hint of chocolate that will make you smile!
I bet if you serve this one morning, your kids will think you’ve lost your mind, “Mom’s letting us have dessert for breakfast?!?” Good for some bonus points, I’m sure!
Strawberry Nutella Puff Tart
Makes 8 servings
Recipe Notes: The puff can be made the day before, then reheated/crisped the next morning in the oven. After you make the puff, put it in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator. When you are ready to assemble the tart, line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the puff on the cookie sheet and put it in the oven to warm for 4 to 5 minutes, just until it has warmed and is slightly crisp on the outside.
For the Whole Wheat Puff:
2/3 cup water
5 tablespoons butter, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
3 large eggs
For the Strawberry Nutella Topping:
16 ounces (1 pound) hulled frozen strawberries (no added sugar)
3 tablespoons light brown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 cup Nutella
6 ounces plain nonfat Greek yogurt
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9 1/2-inch springform pan.
2. Make the whole wheat puff: In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and granulated sugar.
3. Bring the water to a boil in a medium-size saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the butter and granulated sugar. When the butter has melted, add the flour mixture all at once and stir vigorously. Cook and stir until the mixture forms a ball that doesn’t separate. Remove from the heat and let the dough cool for about 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each one until the dough is smooth.
4. Bake until puffed and golden, 18 to 20 minutes. Prick the puff with a toothpick in about 12 places, then return it to the oven and bake for an additional 2 1/2 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and set on a rack to cool completely.
5. Make the strawberry Nutella topping: Mix together the strawberries and brown sugar in a medium-size saucepan. Heat over low heat, lightly crushing and breaking apart some of the berries as they degrost and a syrup starts to form. When the strawberries have defrosted compltely and the syrup has slightly warmed. Stir in the Nutella. When incorporated remove from the heat.
6. Assemble the puff: Run a knife around the inside of the springform pan to release the puff, then remove the pan rim. Place the puff on a serving platter. Spread the Greek yogurt over the bottom of the crust. Spoon the strawberry Nutella filling over the yogurt. Cut into wedges and serve.