With summer around the corner, picnic lunches are around the corner, too. What better way to finish off a picnic lunch than with a fresh, seasonal dessert? This Strawberry-Shortcake-in-a-Jar is the perfect picnic treat because it’s totally portable. In my mind, there’s nothing worse than trying to bake, cover, and pack a cake for a summer picnic. Not only are you almost sure to ruin your pretty frosting technique, or wobble the cake right into crumbling, you also have to pack napkins and forks and tippy paper plates–which are as easily forgotten as they are tossed away. So, why not avoid the muss and fuss alltogether and pack your treats in sturdy glass jars? Not only are they fun for eating, they are splendidly easy to tote. Just put them together, screw a lid atop, and serve withing 2-3 hours.
A simple box cake is crumbled into jars and topped with a mixture of frosting and whipping cream, which protects the cake from too much seepage from the strawberries. A simple, splendid way to enjoy summer.
Strawberry Shortcake in a Jar
- 1 boxed yellow cake mix, baked according to package directions
- 1 can vanilla frosting
- 1 (8 ounce) whipped topping
- 1 quart fresh strawberries mixed with 1/4 cup sugar
1. Crumble the yellow cake mix into large chunks. Press a small amount of the crumbled cake mix into the bottom of four small canning jars. In a small bowl, mix together the frosting and whipped topping. Spoon a small amount on top of the cake layer. Spoon a few strawberries on top of the frosting layer, add another layer of cake, frosting, and strawberries.
2. Top each jar with a lid and ring. Store in the fridge up to 12 hours before serving.
Want more cakes in a jar recipes? Check out “Contain Yourself! 15 Beyond-Exciting Desserts in Jar!”More On