Sulley from Monsters Inc. is a character that just makes you smile — even if he’s trying to be scary. This fun-loving monster easily inspires a cupcake.
Using different piping tips will create the fur-like texture, which is a technique that is much easier than it looks. It’s great for all baking levels (including kids!), as no two cupcakes are alike. There’s nothing scary about how much fun you’ll have making these Sulley Cupcakes!
Editor’s Note: Babble participates in affiliate commission programs, including with Amazon, which means that we receive a share of revenue from purchases you make from the links on this page.
inspired by Petite Party Studio
- 3 cups unbleached cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 8 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 12 egg whites
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 pounds butter
- Vanilla extract
- Pastry bags
- Blue, turquoise, purple, and pink food coloring
- #233 multi opening piping tip (like this one from Amazon)
- #1A piping tip (like this one from Amazon)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Sift the flour and baking powder. Then cream the butter and sugar.
- Add eggs into a mixing bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk and vanilla.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- For the frosting, whisk the egg whites and sugar in a bowl over simmering water until the sugar is dissolved.
- Whip the ingredients until it is cooled.
- Beat in the butter, piece by piece, with a paddle attachment until combined. Then add vanilla.
- For decorating, color 2/3 of the frosting with 3 drops of blue food coloring and 1 drop of turquoise food coloring.
- Color the remaining frosting with 2 drops of purple food coloring and 1 drop of pink food coloring.
- Place the blue frosting in a disposable piping bag with a #233 (or fur/grass) tip. Place purple frosting in a bag with a #1A piping tip.
- Pipe frosting onto cupcakes with fur tip. Push frosting out, stop, and pull up so it has a natural fur look.
- Cover the cupcakes with fur and fill in randomly with dots of the purple frosting. Serve cupcakes immediately, or store overnight in a covered container in the refrigerator.