We have the perfect treat that will make you think twice about skipping out on breakfast. Move your standard morning meal aside and make room for this delicious recipe. Set sail in these Sweet Potato Boats to a flavorful bite filled with bacon, eggs, and sweet onions. Top these breakfast boats off with hot sauce to give yourself a much needed morning kick!
Sweet Potato Boats
Makes: 2 servings
- 2 medium sweet potatoes or yams
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 8 ounces spinach leaves
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 4 small eggs
- Hot sauce, greens, chives (optional garnish)
- Heat oven to 400 F.
- Poke sweet potatoes with a knife a couple times then place directly onto oven rack. Cook for 40-45 minutes until soft. Remove and let cool.
- In a large skillet, fry bacon until crispy. Remove and toss in onion, spinach, and garlic in leftover bacon grease. Cook for about 5-7 minutes until onion is translucent.
- After bacon cools, cut into small pieces.
- Once sweet potatoes are cool, cut lengthwise then scoop out the middle of the sweet potato. Use a knife to cut about 1/4 inch away from the skin all the way. This makes it easier to remove the middle without breaking the skin.
- Mash sweet potato into skillet. If it is a little undercooked, cover and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Stir in salt, pepper, and half the bacon bits. Place sweet potatoes on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Scoop mash into potato shells then create a large divot for the egg. You will want to make sure it’s big enough for the egg.
- Break one egg into each divot then sprinkle with remaining bacon bits. Cook for 15 minutes or until yoke is set.