Editor’s Note: Babble is a part of The Walt Disney Company. Also, Babble participates in affiliate commission programs, including with Amazon, which means that we receive a share of revenue from purchases you make from the links on this page.
Indulge your sweet potato cravings with a unique breakfast dish. One taste of the Sweet Potato Breakfast Bites and prepare for a whirlwind of mouthwatering flavors. This nutritious recipe mixes eggs, turkey bacon, tomatoes, cilantro, and more wrapped inside of a sweet potato tortilla. It’s sure to get your morning off to a great start!
Sweet Potato Breakfast Bites
Makes: 6 servings
Sweet Potato Tortilla Ingredients
- 1 sweet potato
- 1/2 cup water
- Cheesecloth (like this from Amazon)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup low-fat sharp cheddar, finely grated
- 1 egg
- Pinch of salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper, optional
- 4 eggs, whisked
- 2 tablespoons milk (low-fat or non-dairy)
- Pinch of salt and pepper, optional
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 strips turkey bacon, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup low-fat white cheddar, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 F and prepare baking sheet with wax paper.
- To make tortillas, peel sweet potato then grate into fine pieces. Microwave grated sweet potato in water for 5 minutes.
- Then place on a piece of cheesecloth. Firmly squeeze out excess water until potato appears dry.
- Place into bowl, then add cayenne, cumin, garlic powder, cheese, egg, salt, and pepper. Mix all together.
- Scoop out two mounds of the sweet potato mixture and place onto baking sheet. Spread each mound into 5-inch circles to about 1/8 of an inch thick. Bake for 17-20 minutes until crispy.
- For the breakfast filling, whisk together eggs and milk. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Drizzle olive oil in pan and sauté onion on low heat until translucent. Add tomatoes and turkey bacon, and sauté until soft. Add whisked eggs and stir until cooked. Then add white cheddar and mix until melted.
- Place sweet potato tortilla on plate and add a few scoops of the filling. Top with cilantro and a drizzle of hot sauce.
- Fold tortilla and enjoy!
The Mickey Check is a quick and easy way for families to identify healthier food options in stores, online, on-air, at Disney theme parks, and other places where Disney products are sold. Click here for more Mickey Check recipes.More On