Sometimes rice is the perfect base ingredient for a one-bowl wonder entree. This Sweet Potato Coconut Cashew Rice Bowl is filled with two varieties of rice, tender baked sweet potato cubes, rustic coconut shreds, tender cashews, sweet raisins and an accent of ginger. This savor sweet bowl can be served as a side dish or a vegan entree (I love to add seared tofu pillows or triangles on top too). Rice bowl bliss ahead!..
Fall spin: sub sweet potato with butternut squash or pumpkin.
Sweet Potato Coconut Cashew Rice Bowl
vegan, makes 7-9 cups
1 sweet potato, large (baked, peeled, cubed)
1 cup brown Basmati rice (uncooked)
2 cups white Basmati rice (uncooked)
3 cups vegetable broth
3 cups water
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (or more coconut milk)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp ginger powder
1/8 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp pepper
1 bay leaf
1 large sweet onion, chopped
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup coconut milk (full fat)
1/2 cup raisins (black or golden)
1 cup cashews
1 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
chopped cilantro to garnish
1. In a large soup pot, add the onion and oil. Saute over high heat for a few minutes.
2. Next, add in the rice, water, veggie broth, salt, spices and bay leaf. Bring mixture to a boil. Cover with lid and reduce heat to low. Simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
3. When rice is cooked, fluff. Fold in the raisins, coconut, coconut milk, maple syrup. Fluff. Adjust salt and seasoning as needed. Remove bay leaf.
4. Gently fold in the sweet potatoes so they don’t get squashed.
5. Serve warm with chopped cilantro on top.
Add seared tofu on top for a complete protein-rich vegan meal.