What’s poutine you ask? It’s a fancy name for a Canadian classic — cheesy delicious fries with gravy. But you don’t need to go all the way to Canada for this quick snack.
Our Sweet Potato Poutine is so good, you’ll
want need to make a second (or third) batch. It’s the perfect blend of sweet potatoes, maple sausage gravy, and melted cheese.
Sweet Potato Poutine
Makes: 4-6 servings
- 1 large bag frozen sweet potatoes
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cooked, crumbled maple bacon
- Shredded cheddar cheese, to melt
- Fresh parsley
- Bake frozen sweet potatoes as directed on package.
- For the maple sausage gravy: In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat for 6-8 minutes, or until brown and broken into crumbles.
- Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in milk.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir sauce 4-6 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
- Add maple syrup, sage, pepper, and salt into sauce.
- Pour gravy on fries, add crumbled maple bacon, melted cheese, and fresh parley. Enjoy!