The story of the taco pie comes from one of our Babble staffers. As a child he and his brothers would jokingly ask their mother for taco pie … until one day their mom set on the table a taco pie! Their silly joke became a reality, and they were shocked.
What’s a taco pie, you ask? It’s delicious layers of everything you could want in a taco, but in a pie shell. Intrigued? We thought you might be.
Makes: 8-12 servings
- 1 pound ground beef
- Onions, chopped
- Taco seasoning, to taste
- 1 frozen pie shell
- 1/2 can refried beans
- Crushed corn chips (like Fritos)
- Sour cream
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, plus more for topping
- Lettuce, shredded
- Tomatoes, diced
- Black olives
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Pan fry the ground beef until golden brown. Add onions and simmer for another 5 minutes. Tip: Drain the fat before adding taco seasoning.
- Add taco seasoning until mixed well.
- In the frozen pie shell, add refried beans, crushed corn chips, then add meat mixture.
- Spread sour cream and cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Once the crust is golden brown, remove the pie and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, salsa, black olives, and more cheddar cheese. Bake for 3 more minutes.